May 23, 2021
All patients are at risk of falls due to medications & medical conditions which can lead to serious injuries.
Alignment to Western Health Best Care Framework:
Right Care & Person-Centred Care
Why is this important:
Each year, patients in Australian hospitals experience a large number of falls, which collectively cause significant harm. In 2015–16, 1,756 such falls occurred in public hospitals. 1 This equates to 4 falls causing harm per 10,000 hospitalisations in 2015–161 in Australian public hospitals.
What does this look like in practice?
- Place patient close to the nursing station.
- Reduce stimulus.
- Regular personal care such as assisting with toileting.
- Place items within reach such as call bell.
- Patient and family education on falls prevention.
- ACE review
- Complete falls risk assessment on nursing chart and EMR.
Falls within the Emergency Department Quick Reference guide.
EMR Falls Risk Screen Tool
Adult Observation Chart – Risk Screening Tool