This quick reference guide provides staff an overview of the roles and responsibilities of the Clerical staff member that coordinates the clerical and administrative for patients arriving to the AV Triage Area. The main role of the AV Triage Clerk is ensuring patient admission details are entered in accordance with the Victorian Emergency Minimum Dataset (VEMD) business rules in a timely manner. The Triage Clerk works to ensure the patients have a positive experience. All patients arriving at SHED are clerked after being triaged by the Nursing staff using iPM and EDIS, which then creates an encounter on EMR.
The primary responsibility of the AV Triage clerks is to provide patients with a positive patient experience from a customer service perspective by working collaboratively with the AV Triage Nurses.
AV Triage Clerical staff may also be required to assist with communication, for example when a resus pack may be required for the clinical team or calling a code via 444. The Clerical team will communicate closely with the AV Triage nursing staff to ensure all patients are efficiently looked after during initial presentation to SHED.
The AV Triage Clerical staff are responsible for accurate data entry relating to patient demographics, up to date GP information and next of kin details. Entering relevant compensable information for finance and taking payment for overseas visitors not entitled to Medicare bulk billing within Australia is also a requirement of the role.
- To clerk patients presenting via Ambulance Victoria or Victoria Police including placing a wristband on patients
- To clerk patients who progress straight through to cubicles and place wristbands on ASAP
- Enter/confirm patient demographic details on iPM and link with EDIS entry from Triage Nurse
- Answer departmental phone calls
- Communicate and work together with Triage Nursing staff and other clerical team members regarding patients demographic needs for entry on iPM and EDIS
- Complete any other tasks relevant to patients clerical needs and escalate to the Triage Nurse where appropriate
- Process STEMI – Cath Lab & Stroke/Theatre patients by admitting on iPM
- Print off POCSC wristband and place on patient as well as admission labels for point
- Position Description
- Orientation handbook