The Children’s Area provides age-appropriate care to infants, children and adolescents. This includes a spectrum of ill or injured children and recognises the social environment from where the child presents. Child safety, their development and the capacity of carers must be considered, and an understanding of mandatory reporting requirements maintained by all staff.
SHED staff comprise multiple craft groups including: Nursing, Medical, Administrative, Allied Health and Patient Support. In addition, SHED staff interact with many areas of Western Health and the Sunshine Hospital precinct including: Medical Imaging, Inpatient Paediatric, Neonatal, Surgical and Pathology. Team structures are therefore dynamic and require the Paediatric Emergency Consultant to recognise the central role of teamwork and positive communication in providing patient care.
This is a quick reference guide, for further information please refer to relevant scope of practice for you employed role, and the Microsite for updated practices relating to Covid-19 (https://coronavirus.wh.org.au/).
- Clinical expertise
- Clinical leadership
- Best Care
- Communication and Teamwork
- Scholarship and teaching
- Provide clinical expertise in the management of patients and supervision of junior doctors. This includes the following elements:
- Medical Expertise including procedural support
- Prioritisation and Decision Making
- Timely review of investigation results to minimise delays and adverse outcomes
- Includes follow up of past results and / or missed results
- Health Advocacy (e.g. improving health literacy, patient/carer empowerment)
- Create a positive working environment through role modelling and overtly demonstrating:
- Includes: completing mandatory training requirements, new local educational requirements (e.g. EMR, new services)
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Scholarship and Teaching
- Facilitate bedside teaching and workplace-based assessments required by trainees
- Demonstrate continuing professional development relevant to the work undertaken in the Children’s area of the SHED.
- Facilitate research project recruitment and consent as needed within the SHED
This is a quick reference guide. For further information please refer to the position description provided at the time of employment, the Western Health intranet and CoVID-19 microsites for relevant updates. In addition, clinical guidance is available via www.rch.org.au/clinicalguide.