Hospital pharmacists ensure the safe and effective use of medicines by:
- Carrying out medication reconciliation on admissions and during changes in the level of care.
- Working in multidisciplinary teams with other health professionals such as doctors and Nurses to advise on prescribing and address medicines-related problems.
- Dispensing medicines.
- Conducting medication chart reviews, therapeutic drug monitoring and managing adverse drug reactions to ensure medicines work as required.
- Providing comprehensive counselling to patients when they leave the hospital, to ensure patients leave with their medicines, plan to aid the transition back into the community.
- Undertaking and contributing to hospital-wide governance activities through medication safety and quality use of medicine activities, e.g. drug use evaluations, stewardship programs for high-risk medicines.