This document provides a summary of best practice in relation to use of the SHED Ground Floor X Ray Room. The summary has been created to support staff during the Sunshine Hospital Emergency Department Redevelopment transition and early post-move period, and has been endorsed by the ED Leadership Team.
The SHED Ground Floor X Ray Room is the preferred location for performing all General X-ray imaging exams for emergency patients from SHED.
This document summarizes the SHED Medical Imaging Model of Care, so that it can be applied by all SHED staff.
It is the responsibility of the Nurse Unit Managers, Directors and Deputy Directors of the Emergency Department, and the Emergency Department line Managers to ensure the relevant SHED staff are familiar with this QRG, that it is implemented according to the guidelines as outlined within, and that there is compliance by all staff members.
- The SHED Ground Floor X-ray Room will be staffed by > 1 Radiographer 24hours/7 days. The Radiographer will be contactable at all times via a DECT phone. Extension: 54159.
- Imaging referrals are accepted via EMR for all General X-ray exams, along with Nurse Initiated (Nurse Initiated X-ray policy, DP-CC3), and Physiotherapists (X-ray Imaging and Ultrasound Ordering by Physiotherapists, Allied Health DG-CC2.6.8) referrals and must include all relevant information (Zero Tolerance with Incomplete Request Form Documentation – Pathology and Medical Imaging, OP-CC3).
- Mobile General X-ray exams are to be ordered via EMR followed by a phone call to the Radiographer, indicating Priority of imaging.
- MIA will only collect ambulating patients, including patients in wheelchairs (MIA will not push trolleys or take patients to main department for CT/OPG).
- ED PSA will be paged for all other transfers.
- CT & OPG imaging to be performed in Main Radiology Department
- Patients are not to be left in the corridor outside SHED Ground Floor X-ray room, due to the corridor being a main thoroughfare.
- Patients are not to be left in SHED Ground Floor X-ray room, when room is unattended