This document provides a summary of best practice in relation to management of patient valuables.
The purpose of this document is to ensure there are clear systems and processes in place for managing patient valuables in a secure and transparent manner.
This QRG applies to all presentations to the Emergency Department.
It is the responsibility of the Nurse Unit Managers and Directors of the Emergency Departments of each site to ensure the relevant staff are familiar with this QRG, that it is implemented according to the guidelines as outlined within, and that there is compliance by all staff members.
What does this look like in Practice:
- Ability to document if patient is accepting responsibility for own valuables
- Documentation of valuables entered into safe due to patient unable to understand or consent to securing own belongings
- Documentation of valuables entered onto safe at request of patient or NOK
- It is the responsibility of the staff member admitting a patient to document in the valuables and belongings section of FirstNet that the patient is accepting responsibility for the safekeeping of their valuables and that the patient has been offered the opportunity to have their valuables lodged for safekeeping with Western Health Security.
- All valuables and belongings present with the patient are to be documented in the valuables and belongings section of FirstNet
- If patient wishes to leave valuables in the safekeeping of the health service then staff should contact the roving security guard for a valuables lock up bag. The tag number and time the valuables transferred possession should be noted in the valuables and belongings section of FirstNet.
- For patients who are unable to make decisions with respect to their valuables, the Next of Kin (NOK) is to be contacted and encouraged to take any valuables the patient won’t require during their stay home for safekeeping. It is the responsibility of the staff member admitting the patient to document the decision of the NOK with respect to valuables and to document the items that are removed from the patient by the NOK for safekeeping.
Under no circumstances are patient valuables to be housed in the S8 or S11 drug cupboard or in any other ward security device.
OP-RS5 Management of Patient Valuables
OP-RS5 Lost and Found Property
Documentation Patient Valuables and Belongings
iPM as Source of Truth for NOK
Transfer of patient within the hospital QRG
||Management of Patient Valuables
|Date of scheduled review:
|ED leadership Team
||ED Leadership Team